Arthur Cox is one of Ireland’s leading law firms. For 100 years, we have led the way in the legal field in Ireland. We are an “all-island” firm, with offices in Dublin and Belfast. We also have offices in London, New York and San Francisco.
With over 550 legal staff and a total headcount of over 800, we provide a comprehensive service to an international client base ranging from multinational organisations, banks and financial institutions and established global leaders to government agencies and new players in emerging industry sectors.
In recognition of our standing in the market Arthur Cox was named Ireland Law Firm of the Year 2020 at the Chambers Europe Awards. We were also named Ireland Law Firm of the Year 2020 at the IFLR Europe Awards.
Joanelle O’Cleirigh is a Partner in the Litigation, Dispute Resolution and Investigation Group at Arthur Cox. Joanelle has over twenty years experience in various litigious commercial matters and has an expertise in investigations and inquiries, fraud inquiries and cases, white collar crime matters, search warrants, cyber security issues and fraud and asset recovery cases.
Joanelle has advised many key clients in relation to national and global litigation concerning fraud and conspiracy allegations including obtaining mareva injunctions and other necessary interim relief to protect clients interests. She has conducted significant investigations for clients into alleged fraudulent activities and advised many clients on compliance issues including bribery and anti-corruption.
More recently she has advised clients in relation to COVID-19 related fraud and is a lead advisor of key clients in relation to their crisis management and reporting obligations.
Joanelle also has unrivalled expertise in investigations (statutory and non-statutory) and has advised clients both in the private and public sectors on crisis and incident management, reporting obligations, reviews and investigations. She has been involved in some of Ireland’s most significant Commissions of Investigations, Tribunals, Inquiries and hearings for example:
• The matter of the Commission of the Investigation Act 2004 and the Commission of Investigation (Irish Bank Resolution Corporation) Act 2014
• the Tribunal of Inquiry into protected disclosures made under the Protected Disclosures Act 2014 and certain other matters following Resolutions passed by Dáil Éireann (Irish Parliament) and Seanad Éireann (Senate) on 16 February 2017
• The Tribunal of Inquiry into the Infection with HIV and Hepatitis C of Persons with Haemophilia
• The Dunne Post Mortem Organ Retention Inquiry
• The Lourdes Hospital Inquiry into Peripartum Hysterectomies
• The Commission of Investigation into the Death of Gary Douch
• The Commission to Investigate in the Dublin Diocese
• The Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse
• Review of action taken by An Garda Síochána relating to certain allegations made by Sergeant Maurice McCabe
• Independent Inquiry into Reports of Unlawful Surveillance of the Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission
• The Commission of Investigation into Mother and Baby Homes
Joanelle is a lead partner in the Arthur Cox White Collar / Corporate Crime and Investigations Group and is the Irish Chapter Leader of the Women’s White Collar Defense Association which she founded in July 2018.